Wednesday, December 28, 2011

star throwers

I have an extraordinary group of friends. It's easy enough to complain that the world is not as we would have it, but these folks understand that is useless. They both recognize the brokenness and take steps to work towards wholeness in ways that make a huge collective impact.

A story that is a favorite of motivational speakers is adapted from an essay written by Loren Eiseley, published in 1969. A young girl walks down the beach after a destructive storm, picking up starfish left by the waves on the beach. Left on the sun-baked sand, they are sure to die. She throws one in the ocean and leans down to pick up another. A man, moved by pity for her naivete, stops her and gently points out that the beach is large and that she cannot possibly hope to make a difference. She looks at him thoughtfully, bends down, and throws another in. "It made a difference to that one," she says as she moves on down the beach. The man watches her for a moment and then joins her in her task.

As a 2012 resolution, I have taken on profiling friends who are making the world a better place in some way. Some have come to this point by way of tragedy; others by way of good fortune and gratitude. Most are like the child throwing starfish back into the ocean. Their efforts may not seem to make a huge difference, but to those who are helped, it's life-changing. And put together, they DO make a huge difference.

As the director of a nonprofit myself, I know how difficult it is to raise the funds needed to make a difference and to find good people to volunteer and serve on boards. I hope you will see some groups you feel moved to help in some way. I plan to post every Sunday, starting January 1. Please take some time to read about these folks. They are the faces that go with some remarkable organizations. They are people who will put your donations to good use. I know, because I know them. I hope you will subscribe to this blog and I hope you will be as inspired by them as I am.

1 comment:

  1. Linda,
    As a grandmother of one of your students, I have enjoyed following the school on Facebook. I Hope that reading your blog will be just as rewarding. Thank you for all you and your teachers accomplish.
    Jan Shaw

    ReplyDelete